6.04.2009

While my late breakfast settles...

...I figured I had a minute or two to sit and write. I love days like today, and this is the first one all season. Let me explain. Starting in April, I regularly conduct bat surveys in our park district. Usually they end around 1 AM, and I don't get to bed until 2. Then, invariably, the next day there's something to be done that needs early attention--wetlands delineation, bird surveys, staff meetings, etc. Not only that, but the day of the bat survey I usually end up working the morning and throughout the day, so I have a 32 hour shift punctuated by 4-5 hours of restless sleep (when I get back from a bat night I am usually too pumped to sleep properly; it's way cool still to catch bats) However, NOT TODAY! I didn't work this morning, instead played in the garden, went grocery shopping and made scones for tonight's survey, and I don't have to work at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow. Not that I mind either of those schedules, but it's so nice to have a break from it every once in a while to make the whole sleeping thing that much sweeter. 



A hoary bat (Lasiurus cinereus). The biggest we have around here, with a wingspan that's somewhere around 15"--also makes a hissing sound when threatened, like the whole time you're holding one. I love the beautiful markings and the short, full ears. 





A big brown bat (Eptesicus fuscus) hanging from my thumb. These are one of the most widespread bats in N. America. 



In non bat-related press, I hilled up my potatoes today, probably a little late, but then I planted them a little late--so what the hell. I used my new rogue hoe, which is wonderful. The only complaint I have is that I'm tall (around 6' 2") and the angle of the head is made to be held by a person much shorter than I am. It sort of skims along unless I stoop way down. Other than that it is sharp and tough and cuts weeds in rocky soil without nicking the blade. Quality hoe. Now to plant a few rows of beans between the potato hills and watch them grow. Beans and potatoes are meant to be planted near one another; it's said that they keep pests off of one another. Having never tried it, I'm interested to see if it works. Last year's potato crop suffered horribly from the potato beetle. 

Anyway, having digested my breakfast somewhat, it's off to play around some more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment